Thursday 10 January 2013

DAY 9 OF MY 5 STONE CHALLENGE - COMPLETE!!

Today is my 29th Birthday and as with every special occasion in my life, that usually means getting together with friends and family for a meal and some drinks…and this year has been no exception, but I have continued to fully commit to my challenge and have eaten healthily and not a drop of alcohol has passed my lips.

When I arrived in the office this morning, I was asked if there was any cake I could eat on my diet.  I’m actually not a big fan of chocolate, cakes or sweets, so not having a birthday cake this year hasn’t bothered me at all.  I was quite happy with my bowl of porridge!  However, I wondered what could be an okay cake to eat on a diet and who better to ask than Jo Wheatley, who some of you may recall won the Great British Bake Off in 2011.  Jo lives just down the road to me and set-up the Essex Cookery School after winning the show and has also written her own cook book.

Anyway, I shot Jo a message and received a reply telling me that Swiss Roll is actually best, as it has no fat in the sponge, but she recommended having a small lice of whatever it is that I fancied – moderation being the key again. Thankfully, I actually didn’t fancy any cake, but it was interesting to know.

This evening I popped to a friend’s house (Victoria) for dinner and when I arrived, she had very thoughtfully replaced a birthday cake with a bowl of fruit and a large candle.  Better still, my birthday present from Victoria was a Nintendo Wii Fit, to help fill those cold winter nights with a little more calorie burning exercise.  All-in-all, it was a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Belated birthday wishes! Its good you don't have a sweet tooth. I used to have one but not any more. I find sugar free jellies are good with some quark. Quark is a low fat soft cheese that you can put sweetners, drop of vanilla essence in and you've got a cream substitute. Or my favourite use it in savoury recipes. Chicken fillet, slice and stuff with quark, bit of garlic, wrap some lean bacon around and cook...oooh I'm getting carried away now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of you 16 pounds already thats amazing! .....I have been friends with Victoria for a few years now and have seen you appear with her on a number of occasions!

    Have a good weekend. Your dinner looks amazing by the way....Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. People keep asking if I'm finding it hard and the answer has been, "not at all". Small lifestyle changes, increased exercise and enjoying what you eat seem to be the key.

      Thanks again for your support.

      Delete
  3. That dinner looks so good... I might just have that again this week!

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete