Monday 18 March 2013

WEEK 11 OF THE 5 STONE CHALLENGE – COMPLETE!!

So, today is week 11 of my 5 Stone Challenge and whilst I’ve been beyond lax at updating my blog over the past few weeks, the diet has continued, even if it has been a particularly bumpy road!

As those of you who follow me on Twitter may be aware, I’ve spent the past couple of weeks in Mexico celebrating my best friend’s stag / bachelor party.  I have the honour of being his Best Man, so have spent the past year pulling this event together…and what an event it was!  For anyone who has not experienced Cancun during Spring Break before, I can’t recommend it highly enough.  I made a pact with myself when I first took-up this challenge which was that I would completely forget the diet for the 2 weeks of the stag, but that would be the only time I would let myself off the leash between now and the end of the challenge.

As it turns out though, I made the effort to swim every day, to dance hard all night every night, to only drink gin and slimline tonic and to eat as well as I could.  Generally speaking (minus a few 5am pizzas), I stuck to those rules.  Breakfasts were simple and healthy, lunches were often BBQs (so freshly grilled seafood, meat and vegetables) and the evening meal’s allocation of calories were consumed via copious amounts of alcohol.  Not a diet I would advocate, but I was making the best of a bad situation!

I returned home over the weekend and have dreaded stepping back on the scales, but ‘carpe diem’ as they say, I hopped up today and prepared for the worst.  I can’t begin to tell you how elated I was to find out I had lost weight on the stag.  In fact, I had to weigh again just to be absolutely sure.

When I started the challenge, I weighed 26 stone.  Today I weighed in at 23 stone, which is a whopping 3 stone or 42lb loss (or for my European friends, 165.3kg to 146.4kg = 18.9kg).  Thinking back to those bricks I referred to in my earlier post, that means I have now lost 8.5 bricks of fat from my body.  BMI was 44.4 and it’s now 38.9.  My body fat was 37.7% and is now 34.7%.

I genuinely do believe in divine intervention and someone somewhere has clearly given me a helping hand which has given me exactly the focus I needed to get back on the bandwagon and lose the final 2 stone of this challenge….here’s to the future!

3 comments:

  1. Well just goes to show you can do it. Was at a great group tonight and they were so motivational, you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely - if I can overcome a stag for a couple of weeks on the other side of the earth, anything is possible! Thank-you, as ever, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ben!!! Guess this means you can set up your Wii Fit profile now. Found your blog searching for images when I faced the same problem (http://crystalsquest.com/an-embarrassing-confession), and I'm cheering you on here from downunder.

    You can do it. I don't know if you get the US series of "Extreme Makeover" where you are, but watching programs like that keep me believing it can be done.

    ReplyDelete