Sunday 3 February 2013

CAN YOU BE A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY & STILL LOSE WEIGHT?

Thankfully, this weekend hasn't played host to any birthday parties, stags, weddings or charity events which would take me away from home, unlike the previous 4 weekends.  However, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been busy!  I am blessed with a mixture of great friends geographically scattered all over the globe and a family with whom I am particularly close.  I am also a firm believer that relationships require time and you will only ever get out what you are prepared to put in, so there really isn’t ever a quiet moment in my social calendar, which makes dieting more difficult for me personally.

Friday evening I joined a friend for dinner and, as is usual for us, we headed to our favourite Mexican restaurant.  Usually I’d be having some jalapeno chilli, salsa and cheese topped nachos as a starter, chicken and steak combo fajitas mixed nicely with a couple of Corona’s and a Margarita or two for good measure.  This week I had to find something new from the menu and given how notoriously fattening Mexican food can be, I applied my own rule of thumb, which was to try and stay away from anything which was fried, so I skipped the starter and tried out the Guisado de Cordero (slowly stewed lamb in a tomato sauce) which is served in a tortilla bowl, which I didn’t eat.

On Saturday, I missed breakfast, as I overslept, so grabbed a coffee en route to a meeting I had in Victoria.  I headed to La Tasca for lunch and had a Castile la Mancha (spicy roasted vegtable cassolo made with butternut squash, red onion, chickpeas, celeriac and cannellini beans in a winter warming spicy tomato sauce).  After lunch I went to witness one of my friends get confirmed in Westminster Cathedral.  This friend’s family is half Italian, half Irish, so food and drink plays a huge part in the every gathering.  After the confirmation, as expected, we soon sound ourselves in an Italian restaurant and I really had to dig deep to avoid ordering some bruschetta, a nice plate of pasta and bottle of red wine, but I pushed on and ordered Spigoli Alla Meditarrean (seabass grilled with onions and garlic) served with a side of broccoli and spinach.

We will find out on Wednesday whether or not it is possible to continue to have a social life which involved a lot of eating out and still lose weight, but the key rules seem to be not ordering a starter or dessert, staying away from alcohol and allowing yourself to order a couple of extra sides of vegetables and a coffee whilst everyone else is tucking into their tiramisu! As one of my Titter followers said to me earlier today, “a moment on the lips…a lifetime on the hips”!!

No comments:

Post a Comment